Monday, June 10, 2013

Success - What are you willing to do?

I have been working with  a group of boys this summer (about 18 signed up) in a program I designed called Power Surge.  It is a speed, endurance, and agility program for ages ranged 9-14, and it has been a ton of fun.  I work with them twice a week and assign homework for the weekend to be completed by the following week.
Each time we meet I have a T.O.D (thought of the day) at the end of each training session, and along the way I have found some very interesting snippets of wisdom for myself as well.
I have been talking with the boys lately about 'Success', and what it means to work towards it.  I found a video online the other day by Eric Thomas to be very interesting, and it spoke to me about what it takes to obtain success.
The 3 things that he speaks about which lead to a successful life in all areas are:

1) Heart- At some point in you life the factors that separate you from others start to even out as you progress, and in the end it's not where you come from, your strength, or your ability that get you to where you want to be.  At some point it becomes about heart.
2) Sacrifice- Are you willing to give up who you are now for what you are capable of becoming? Not many people are willing to give up the comforts and conveniences of what they currently have in order to become something more. Are you willing to give up some of the comforts of familiarity, sleep, free time, and complacency in order to become a better person.
3) Pain- Are you willing to accept pain along the way? When you strive for a better , more successful life, you are going to experience mental pain (stress), uncertainty,  and at times physical pain.  But at the end of pain comes success.  The pain you experience to move to a better place is temporary though, but quitting is forever.  When you quit you have to live with the choice to do so for the rest of your life.
I found his words so full of straight forward truths , and he calls out the people in his audience to really take a look at themselves. He is talking with a class of young kids, but he very well could be speaking to any one of us. 

The video is linked to the title of this blog post if you want to watch it online. Just click the title of this post 'Success: What are you willing to do' and it will take you there if you want to watch it.





No comments: