So I am riding my bike a few weeks ago to the firehouse in the early morning as I have been doing on and off now for several years. After trudging through what seemed like
quicksand for the first 15 minutes I finally get into my groove and begin to take in the awesome morning sun while I pedal. I will usually ride the 30 mile course in about an hour and a half so I have time to think about a WHOLE lot of stuff. And for the most part my rides are very uneventful so I begin the day by praying. Ahhh... a peaceful morning started off with a prayer!! Nothing would be finer than a connection with God early in the morning but I always tend to get sidetracked. I start off my prayers with great fervor and focus but tend to change subjects about 30 times in my mind due to lack of discipline... or is it ADD? Okay, it's ADD but I realize that this makes for exciting times in my prayer life with a change in subject every 15 seconds!! So I am coursing through this prayer, subject to subject, and I have now forgotten where I am at about 10 times over. My passion for connection has long passed and I feel like I should be in a prayer care home for the lost and unfocused. So for the umteenth time I start over hoping to regain my zest for finishing this thing strong but something keeps nagging at me this morning. Like a rogue nosehair that won't stop tickling the old septum I felt something that kept grabbing my attention. It's like God was saying to me that we weren't changing course on this ship and we weren't coming back to the same place ever again. So I stop praying at this point and it is then that 'Empty Me' by Jeremy Camp comes on my mp3 player. So I begin to intently listen to the words of this song that I have heard probably a 100 times over and never taken notice of before this morning. But as I was pedaling it grabbed me and I felt like those words were talking right to my heart. Call it an epiphany, breakthrough, grand moment, or whatever else you want to but I know exactly what happened at that moment. God was speaking
directly to me through that song and changing me. You see I had been praying for all of these years thinking that I had to hit so many targets in my prayer in order for them to count that I was missing the point all along. To me it was like I was in an 'Amazing Race' prayer and I had to get to reach the checkpoints along the course all in order before I could make a mad dash to the end of the stage. Except the only thing is that I had been running the same course for the past 15 years or so since I accepted Christ. So Jeremy Camp's words to this song shook me up me in a way that I haven't felt in a long time during my prayer life. As he sung the words to his song I sang along in my mind and for the first time in a while I felt a truly deep connection with God that morning.
Could it really be that simple for us that we tend to look right past it !! Have I had the tendency to just walk aimlessly through my prayers day after day so much so that I had lost what I was looking for in the first place. A connection with God !! For a long time I had been willing to make a check list of the things that I needed to hit every morning in my prayer so I could get through it and call it a day !! Mom, Dad, kids, thanks for it everything, thanks for heaven, protect me and the family- Amen !! Wow !! I wonder why I was uninspired fopr such a long time. My prayer life had become a chore checklist with nothing behind it.
So I listened to 'Empty Me' that morning and learned what it meant to be passionate again about prayer. I needed to step out of the way of myself and just ask the Lord to take over my life. No checklist and no rambling man but simple humility with a willing heart. After the song was finished I was so moved that I simply began repeating a portion of it again and again to myself.
Jesus Burn AwayMy Desire For AnythingThat is Not of YOU and is of MeI Want More of YOU and Less of Me
So simple and yet so profound that it was life changing for me.
Christ please empty me of myself and fill me with you, Amen !!
HE knows what to do with the rest.
1 comment:
scott the first time i heard this song i balled my eyes out. its words are so powerfull! i also want and desire this.
and if you and i dont change i'll meet you in the prayer care home, lol. thanks ofr the uplift, God knows i need it, we all do.
Post a Comment