So let's go over what we did learn from our first little training hike.
1) 14 miles is possible even when you are severely dehydrated.
2) It is better to start out moderately and finish strong than love like young bull in heat.
3) We need to plan our fluid intake better- At least 24oz per hour when you start out well hydrated- This is an approximate because we may need less when its cooler but more when really hot.
4) We will not be very hungry but eating is a must on our hikes- it will not be an option to eat on the trail because energy will be needed in a steady state for the long distance.
5) Training is a must !! 48 miles will require us to be in the best shape of our lives so train , train, train !!
6) Dogs can drink brown water and like it - my dog took a bath , rolled in it, drank it, and then smiled as I sat in the shade watching in envy. We cannot afford to drink it so we will be bringing water filter bottles on the trail to filter swift running water if need be.
7) I need some sort of ballsack deodorizer - maybe a combination of arm n hammer, sand, and perfume so the moisture is whisked away while I smell good.
8) Matt doesn't need sunblock because we now know a 3" layer of salt does the same job
9) 4000 pumps of a water filter in trickling brown water gets you approx 4 oz of tan water !! But Andy was kind enough to offer it to all of us first before he drank !! What a nice boy !!
10) Hallucinations are real when you are low on fluids and sodium. I started yelling at the end of the hike because I thought I saw dancing fairies ,holding bottled water, flying around me .
11) Accelerade is top notch - I have never hiked as hard and as far up steep terrain and felt absolutely no soreness the next day. It was astonishing the difference that it did make for Andy and I. Go get some and train with it.
12) I have thought many times about the relationship between food and my gas - I eat and therefore I am !! I only hope that I lead the whole way so you all can enjoy it as well. 8))
13) Stephen is a smart man !! The only one to finish with full cognitive ability and still was able to share his water with us.
14) I am glad that life brings us such humor as in the ability to laugh at ourselves and learn. I love this stuff !!Next hike coming up is November 30 and will be another long one !! Be ready for 20 miles !
No comments:
Post a Comment