I was at work on June 11 and it was evening time around 8:00 pm when one of the guys yelled my name from across the room that I had a phone call. I was in the office when I heard him so I walked over to the phone and picked it up. Then the sweetest little voice started speaking from the other end of the line. "Hi, Daddy," is what my youngest son said on the other line. At this point I was totally surprised because my youngest son does not usually call work. I'm thinking at this point that he wanted to confess one of his little trouble spots from the day or maybe that he even wanted to confess something for one of the other boys. There is a short pause on the phone after he said hello and then the words came out of his mouth. The sweetest words that I think a father could ever hear from one of his children came flowing through the phone. "I accepted Jesus into my heart today at vacation bible school today," he added. Now I was not expecting this at work so it kind of caught me off guard a little bit. There were several guys in the office and I started to well up with tears so I moved over into the corner to talk with him. I realized that everyone in the office would hear me if my voice started to crack with emotion so I pulled it together and told him that I was so happy for him. I wasn't just happy I was beaming with joy , and I wanted so much to jump up out of my seat and scream for joy. But... I held it together and told him that I would give him a big hug and a kiss as soon as I saw him the next day. Then we both said good-bye and hung up the phone.
The next day my boys were already at vacation bible school by the time that I got home from the station so I didn't get to see them. So when it was time top pick them up at noon I was wondering if my youngest son would remember my promise to him on the phone the previous night. I sure remembered and I was anxiously waiting to see him in the parent pick-up room. I walked thru the doors into the building and looked over to the activities room. As I made my way over there I saw him standing by one of his leaders waiting for us to come pick him up. As I walked in the room I caught his eye and he ran over to me immediately. As he got to me I bent down and gave him a big bear hug, then kissed him, and told him how much I loved him. As I pulled back after hugging him I looked into his eyes and saw him beaming with joy. He had a smile on his face that made my heart melt all over again. The type of joy-filled, contented smile that makes me thankful everyday for becoming a father and for Christ in heaven whose works never cease to amaze me !!
No comments:
Post a Comment