Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Mud Run !!

So several of my buddies and me go out and do crazy adventure stuff every year so we can supposedly get the little kid out of our system and return home civilized once again. This past Saturday was one of those planned trips , and I got to run in one of the craziest events that I have ever had the chance to be a part of. It was the Camp Pendleton Mud Run which is a 10k run through trails, hills, streams, mud pits, water holes, lakes, and more mud pits. It was one of the funnest and hardest 10 k races that I have run in so far but it was well worth the effort of getting there. We had no idea what to expect on the course because this was a new one for all of us but we charged ahead nonetheless. We ended up getting to the starting line right before the gun went off so we were forced to start a ways back in the pack. After we did get to running though it was one obstacle after another that was thrown at us. At one point there were even marines jumping out of training compounds with water guns , and they were shooting us with water. We had to run up several hills, dive into several streams, swim across a lake, and trudge through several mud pits to get to the end of the course. I tell you this- it felt more like 10 miles than it did 6.2 !!! I was plumb tired at the finish line and very glad it was over for the time being. After I caught my breath though I started thinking about how I was going to do things differently for next year's race. None of us took top ten or even top 25 but the fun in all of it was just getting out there and once again proving that adventure comes from within !! Dare to dream big and go make it happen !!

Look at this short clip showing the last big mud pit at the race !!

No comments: